Prior to Shipment
– Fax request for current status.
– Review shipping & payment terms.
– Confirm that Customs Broker has been selected.
– Does Broker have Purchaser’s Power of Attorney?
– Does Purchaser have Customs Bond (Either Single or Continuous)?
– Confirm that supplier will include any Assists in shipment value?
– Confirm that country of origin product marking instructions are being followed.
– Confirm that supplier will use purchaser supplied US Customs Harmonized Number in shipping description.
– Specify to supplier transportation method and routing
– Confirm consignee, notify party, port, & markings and that buyer will receive copy of shipping papers
– Specify forwarder & broker if not included in P. O.
– Confirm that supplier or forwarder has routing.
– Confirm that transportation has been arranged.
– Confirm that freight methods and rates used in original landed cost estimates are being used.
– Confirm that some form of proof of origin will be sent to purchaser (No longer required for Customs Clearance, but may be needed for Customs’ Audit)
– Is an inspection certificate or other certification required & if so, is it complete.
– Confirm special packaging arrangements.
– Confirm hazardous cargo compliance.
– Consider strikes or any other significant International events that may cause delay.
– Confirm that procedure for transportation insurance coverage is being followed.
After Shipment Leaves Supplier
– Confirm that freight forwarder has freight and that booking was made per routing instructions.
– Confirm shipment is on intended vessel/flight.
– Determine if pre-clear through US Customs is possible.
– Check Documents received to insure correct consignee, notify party, destination and markings.
– Confirm forwarder has sent copies of documents to purchaser & broker
– Confirm broker is aware of shipment, has all necessary documents, and has been given inland shipping instructions.
– Prepare info for special clearances such as FDA if required.
– Confirm arrival with broker.
– Confirm Custom clearance with broker
– Obtain pro number, trailer number, name & phone number of inland carrier.
– Confirm inland delivery with inland carrier